Scroll to top

FAQ for ESC volunteering

We are very happy, you are interested in volunteering in the Czech Republic. Please before you apply to one of our ESC workcamps, read the following questions and rules carefully.

What is ESC workcamp?

An ESC workcamp is a workcamp (volunteering team), which is carried out within the programme European Solidarity Corps (ESC)

Volunteering teams are usually similar to traditional workcamps. They have a minimum duration of 2 weeks and involve a group of at least 10 volunteers. There are two basic conditions to participate:

  • age limit of 18 to 30 years 
  • legal residence in a programme country or in a neighbouring partner country

For your commitment through the ESC, your travel expenses will be reimbursed and you will receive some pocket money.

How many times can I participate?

  • You can participate in a European Solidarity Corps – Volunteering Teams project as many times as you wish as long as you are an eligible participant based on your age (18-30) and legal address.
  • You can only participate once in a European Solidarity Corps – Individual Volunteering project (long-term volunteering abroad). With the exception of your first individual volunteering project did not exceed 60 days you can participate once more in an individual volunteering project. Altogether the duration of your individual volunteering projects cannot exceed 14 months.
  • Note: It is not possible to be at two ESC projects at the same time!!! If you are currently on your ESC long-term project, you cannot apply to an ESC workcamp at the same time.

How will I get my travel reimbursement?

You are responsible for arranging and buying your own travel tickets. Your travel costs will be reimbursed through your sending organisation after the workcamp. Your travel reimbursement will be done only between your home country and the Czech Republic, where the project takes place. 

You must keep and provide all your travel documents: tickets, invoices, receipts, boarding passes. The travel tickets must be eligible for reimbursement:

  • Dates: The eligible dates are dates of the workcamp. In justified cases, you can use one travel day before the workcamp and one travel day after the workcamp. (Example: The workcamp takes place 10.8.-24.8.2023. Eligible tickets are from 9.8., 10.8., 24.8. and 25.8.). (In case you use only green travel such as train or bus, you might use two more additional travel days before/after the workcamp this does not apply to following projects: ESC Centre for All, ESC Centre for All – Survivor, ESC Assist the elderly in Prague, ESC Farmstudio – A centre of Contemporary Art, ESC Veselí Castle).
  • Place: Travel reimbursement will be done only between your home country and location of the workcamp. (Example: You live in France and you want to apply for workcamp in the Czech Republic. It is not possible to visit your friend in Spain and then come to the Czech Republic. Only journey France-CZ and back can be reimbursed).
  • Mean of transport: It is not possible to reimburse first-class tickets, Uber, taxi or similar services.

You will be reimbursed for your travel costs up to the given limit after you have completed the project and administrative duties. If you exceed the maximum limit, you pay the rest.

The maximum limit – based on one way distance from your home to the location of workcamp. The distance is calculated by official distance calculator

  • between 0 and 99 km: 23 EUR 
  • between 100 and 499 km: 180 EUR (210 EUR in case of green travel)
  • between 500 and 1 999 km: 275 EUR (320 EUR in case of green travel)
  • between 2 000 and 2 999 km: 360 EUR (410 EUR in case of green travel)

What if I arrive earlier to the project?

If you want to arrive to the Czech Republic a few days earlier (or come back home a few days later), it is possible, but in that case you won’t receive your travel reimbursement. Outside of the workcamp dates you will have to arrange and pay for your food and accommodation. 

Note: It is required to stay for the whole duration of the workcamp! You cannot come later or leave earlier.

What if I travel from/to a different country

Your travel reimbursement will be done only between your home country to the country where the project takes place. In a justified situation it is possible to travel from another country. In this case always check with your sending organisation if your travel will be eligible to reimburse. You will have to provide official documents explaining your reasons. Please, bear in mind that ESC does not pay for your holidays!

How and when do I get the pocket money?

Volunteers get pocket money after arrival on the workcamp. The pocket money is paid in cash in CZK (equivalent to 5 EUR/day). If you must leave the workcamp earlier (for example you get sick), you will have to return the corresponding amount back. You can use this pocket money to cover expenses during your free time (for example trips or excursions).

What is a sending/supporting organisation and how do I get one?

A sending (or supporting) organisation is based in your home country and will be responsible for your preparation before the workcamp. They will provide all the necessary support you need. When you are accepted to our ESC workcamp, we will recommend you a sending organisation, which you should contact. 
In case you have any health issues or you are facing any type of obstacles (economic, educational etc.), please inform your sending organisation as soon as possible. You should also mention in it the application, so we are informed about your special needs in advance.

Which documents do I need?

  • Volunteering Agreement: After your acceptance you will be asked to sign the Volunteering Agreement. It´s a basic document, which explains rights and responsibilities of all parties involved.
  • Certificate of Good Conduct and Medical Form: For some workcamps (for example work with children) you will be asked to send Certificate of Good Conduct and Medical Form. Those are required by law, so without them it is not possible to join the workcamp! 
  • ID/passport
  • EHIC – European Health Insurance Card

Will I get travel insurance?

Yes, CIGNA is an additional insurance you receive when you participate in a European Solidarity Corps project. You will be enrolled for the insurance by your hosting organisation INEX once you are accepted to the workcamp. It complements your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). 

In case an insurance event happens which is not covered by your EHIC, first you have to pay for the services on-spot and then you can claim your costs from CIGNA providing the necessary documents.

If you don´t have EHIC card, please check here how to apply for it:

If you are not eligible to hold EHIC, please inform your sending organisation!

Become a Czech campleader

Do you like Czechia and want to get to know the country, its people and culture better and in a special way? Would you like to find some friends while having an amazing and unique experience and at the same time work on your leadership skills and personal development?